Help and advice when choosing your options
Clearly there is lots to think about when making your option choices and you may feel a little overwhelmed by it all. It may help you to think about the following questions when trying to decide which are the right subjects for you:-
- Which courses will I enjoy studying most for the next three years?
- Which courses am I likely to be the most successful in?
- Which courses will I need for my future career or might I want to study after I leave school?
- Which courses suit my preferred method of learning? (Some courses are assessed through examinations and coursework or controlled assessments completed in lessons, whilst others are assessed only through examinations).
You are not alone when making these choices. There is lots of help available to you including:-
- Your parents/carers.
- Your subject teachers or the Subject Leader for the subject(s) you are interested in.
- Your form tutor.
- Your Progress Leader.
- Senior members of staff.
- Other people, such as family members and family friends, doing a career you might be interested in.
There is also a great deal of information available to you about different careers in the library and from websites, some of which are listed below. And remember... A good general education is important, whatever choices you are going to make. Sixth forms, universities, colleges of higher education, colleges of further education and employers all have one thing in common – they look for young people with an all-round education, a range of skills, wide interests, experience and good qualifications.
GENERAL CAREERS WEBSITES
General careers advice: http://www.allaboutcareers.com
General careers advice: http://www.icould.com
Careers films: http://www.careersbox.co.uk
National Careers Service: http://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk
Art based careers: https://www.theartcareerproject.com/careers/
Foreign languages: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_modern_languages.htm
Human Resources (HR): https://www.cipd.co.uk/new-hr-learning-development
National Health Service (NHS): https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/
Science based careers: http://www.sciencecareerpathways.com/home/
POST 16 WEBSITES Higham Lane Sixth Form: http://www.highamlanesixthform.co.uk/
King Edward VI College: http://kecnuneaton.ac.uk/
Etone College: http://www.etonecollege.co.uk/
North Warwickshire and South Leicestershire College: http://www.nwslc.ac.uk/
St Thomas More School: http://www.st-thomas-more.net
HIGHER EDUCATION WEBSITES
University applications: www.ucas.com
Guide to universities: www.whatuni.com
INFORMATION ABOUT UNIVERSITY COURSES FOR DIFFERENT CAREERS http://targetcareers.co.uk/uni/choices-about-uni/242-which-degree-do-you-need-for-which-career